Sunday 7 September 2014

Sunday, 7th September 2014 - Yes I am still aound.

Well it has been quite a busy week for me and a very emotional one as well. I noticed some people asking if I was doing OK. To answer the questions "yes" I am doing OK this week. I have been busy and have taken some time to think about my blogging and how it appears to be affecting some people with my honesty and I have been wondering what to do about that.

When I first set this blog up it was after I watched Mrs D on Sunday and her inspirational story of how she managed to get and stay sober by herself with the help of an online community. I thought that was a great idea for me to document how I was travelling and it is primarily for my purpose. I could always make my blog "private" but I would rather not because my family is following my journey as well as some of my other friends as well as a lot of other people who have given me some encouraging comments and support.  There are those who have provoked some deep thought from me out of pure concern which is a good thing. It is always interesting getting comments because you never really know how someone will interpret the things you write. So I have decided that I am going to continue blogging as part of my journey as well as posting on Living Sober as well. I guess that if my blog upsets or concerns people then they chose whether they wish to continue following me or not. I don't deliberately set out to concern people but I need to be really honest with myself if I have any hope of betting this hideous addiction. I will beat it.

When I said the last week was busy I meant that I have deliberately making sure that I am keeping myself busy because September is an emotional month for me. Last week on 4th September would have been my dad's birthday if he was alive. It was the first time that I have got through that particular day without drinking since he passed away 7 years ago. I was extremely proud of myself for managing this year not to be selfish and think that my dad would not want me drunk on his birthday. The last birthday he had was at my place 7 years ago (it co-incided with fathers day). On 10 September (just 6 days after he turned 62) he suffered a massive heart attack and effectively died but was kept alive on life support until 12 September when it was switched off. That is the beginning of my downward drinking career. So, for the first time in 7 years I got through his birthday without drinking and I am going to get through the two days this week without drinking as well.

I have been doing a lot of walking and this helping with keeping my moods stable and I have made a commitment to myself that I will blog every day this coming week to monitor how I am going.

7 comments:

  1. So pleased you are back! You should be proud of yourself this week, clearly a very emotional and therefore stressful time and you chose not to drink. I look forward to hearing how you are getting on - ups and downs and I wish you lots of ups

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cherie - I'm a 47 year old accountant with a troublesome 25 year old son! I have walked your path. Even a week in the hospital a year ago only stopped me from boozing for a couple months, but as that anniversary began to loom in front of me this summer, I realized I really in truly had to STOP. I am 25 days sober now and this time it is real. I know you can to this. I am pulling for you and keeping up with your progress. Let's kick this things ass and get back to crunching numbers and loving our children, and ourselves. Big hugs from the Lone Star State.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on 25 days. Thanks you sharing some of your story too. We definately cab do it and I am linking arms with you from afar and we will kick this up the bum. xx :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to blog and go on Living sober too Cherie.Day 50 for me today.Big hugs to you.xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cherie, I went on my blog just to see if you'd posted as I get an alert whenever you do. Great job on staying sober on the anniversary of your beloved Dad's death. It is a hurdle crossed; although one of many, an important one. Great idea to stay close and post daily. I feel myself sliding down that nasty path whenever I stay away from the sober blogs too long. Drink doesn't help anything so why bother screwing things up further with our go-to crutch. It's like a broken crutch; when we lean on it, we fall on our asses. Take care and glad to hear all the good, the bad and the day to day events of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you are still here! The blog is for you. Write what helps you.

    Anne

    ReplyDelete