Friday 11 July 2014

Friday 11th July 2014

Good morning blog. And a fine day it will be too..

It is 9.24am and my "angels" are still sleeping. More peace for me to do this rather them looking over my shoulder to find out what I am writing.

As I mentioned, yesterday was a bit of an upsetting day so I have decided to start my blog early today so that if a "curve ball" comes my way I can open it up to finish it off and see how positively the day started. :).

Plans for the day 1) Have a shower and wash my hair (boring but necessary), 2) Go to the supermarket to get a few bits but NO WINE, NO WINE. 3) Housework/washing  - again boring but necessary. 4) Bath my baby girl (my puppy :))  5) Baking (which is why I am going to supermarket - AND FOR NO OTHER REASON CHERIE) 6) Go for a long walk with my lovely ex nanny. By this time it should be around 2pm and I will have an extra child here and hopefully she will stay over.

I am so pleased with my middle child. I thought she would want to spend the entire school holidays away from me. She hates the drinking - we all do, but she appears to be the one affected the most. She is also exhibiting addictive signs as well which is a real concern. Anyway, she has been happy to slop around in her pjs and watch movies and spend time with yours truly. The funny thing is that she has a mad sense of humour(another thing she seems to have inherited from me) and we have some stupid laughs. Yesterday, we were sending each other voice messages on facebook. How old am I? Anyway, it was fun and even though my husband thinks it is rather "immature" lol, I is a really good way of me bonding with her.

All and all I feel like I have set myself up for a good day.

Check in later.

To all my fellow bloggers have a fab day. It is Friday :)


It is 10.38am. Just an hour after I started the blog for the day and curve ball number 1 has arrived! I am so so pleased I started off on a positive note and I am also so pleased that I am writing this as things happen. My middle childs' friend who was going to stay is going to stay but not for the reasons I was hoping. Nothing to do with us directly but her mother's  friend in Palmerston North just discovered that her son (the mothers friend - confused yet!) committed suicide (intentional or not) by OD on meds. I know it not alcoholisn but it is addiction and addiction takes many forms. Alcoholism is just one form. It makes me realise that in the "cold light of day" addiction will kill you if you let it. It reminded me of a co-addict who recently jumped off the ferry between Picton and Wellington because life just got "too hard". No funeral is nice but his was particularly sad as he still had a lot to live for. For me, addiction robs me of the ability to focus on the good and I find that I then have the "poor mees" which turns out to "pour me a drink"  and the bastard has won again Not today "piss off addiction" . What this means is that I need to revamp my plan for today. That is OK because that is life and life is not

My walk is on hold because I am likely to have mother and daughter arriving shortly in a very distraught state - understandable. I have suggested (in my infinite wisdom - not) that they come and calm down. Particularly as the mother has to drive 2 hours to get to her friend and be a support person. The last thing I want is the mother of my daughters friend having an accident. (Yes I am going to stress about that too). So plan B is I am going to make muffins, sausage rolls and quiche. Just because it keeps me busy and distracted. Then we,  the mother of my child friend and me  (bloody confusing - even I am getting confused lol ) are going to sit down and have a frank conversation about addiction. For whose benefit I don't know.

Anyway, my middle child is up and telling me about the events of the suicide and how her friend needs her. I am proud she came to me to ask "mum what do I do and what do I say"?. I said - "listen, listen , listen" that is all I can say. Addiction is a bastard and it will kill you (physically and emotionally) and kills others around you.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, the kiddies still asleep at 9:24am?! I wish. Your day sounds very productive and well thought out. It's also great to read your middle child is noticing a change, I'm sure deep down she is more pleased than what you know. Have a nice weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kiddies are teenagers and they are a different breed. Enjoy you son at 7 they still want mummy, cuddles, listen, go to their room and eat their dinner knowing that they cannot get up and make themselve something else. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish my son would sleep in! But he's only 7. Hope you have a great day. A x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though you have been hit with a curve ball isn't it great that your sobriety is allowing you to be there for your friend, have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No power for four days but that didn't stop me from driving to town and buying wine. The lack of power and internet seemed to be an excuse for having a drink each night "Nothing else to do" I kept telling myself. Wine by candle light.....how romantic. Except on your own is not romantic, it's sad. I have to get my head back on track again .

    Thank you Cherie for letting us into your life and sharing your ups and downs

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope your weekend went well Cherie and hope you stayed strong! xx

    ReplyDelete